The News In Shorts

How the news would look if everyone stopped waffling and told the truth.

Friday 27 January 2012

Stephen Hester: A Day In The Life.

Scene - Stephen Hester's office at RBS. Worried executive bustles in with a wad of papers.

Worried RBS executive: "Mr Hester, we have a problem."

Stephen Hester: "Oh, yes. Any idea how we might tackle it?"

Worried RBS executive: "Well no. I was rather hoping you might have a solution."

Stephen Hester: "I see. Get together a team of ten experts to look into it and report back to me with a solution. I'm off fox hunting."

Two weeks later, same office same worried executive.

Worried RBS executive: "The team has reported back and suggested three possible solutions."

Stephen Hester: "Three? I want people who bring me solutions not problems and three possible solutions represents a problem. Take it back to them and tell them to find the solution, not three possible solutions. I'm off to play a round of golf."

Two weeks later, same office same worried executive.

Worried RBS executive: "They've managed to whittle it down to one solution, sir."

Stephen Hester: "Capital. Give it to me and I'll tell the Board later. I'm off yachting this afternoon."

Two days later. Scene - the Boardroom.

Stephen Hester: "Here is my solution to our little problem. (Pauses to acknowledge round of applause). That will be £2 million thank you. Anyone care for lunch at the Savoy on expenses?"

No comments:

Post a Comment